Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tasmanian pepper

I've been experimenting with a little-known spice called Tasmanian pepper.  As the name suggests, it comes from Tasmanian as well as other parts of Australia.  The spice is unrelated to black pepper or chilis and is part of an obscure family of plants found only in the Southern Hemisphere.  The genus Tasmannia, from which includes Tasmanian pepper, has other species whose berriess and leaves can be used as spices.



The berries are spherical and larger than black pepper berries.  They are softer and very deep purple in color.  The smell is piney and something like juniper berries, so it's not surprising the berries are said to go well with gin.

It's difficult to describe the taste of Tasmanian pepper berries.  It's more of an experience, lasting about a minute in which the taste goes from sweet to a chili-like burn at the end.

All my readings said the spice goes well with fish, especially salmon.  So I followed a recipe in which the berries were cooked in oil, and then the oil was drizzled over the fish.  The berries-in-oil method imparted a much milder taste, but the combination was delicious.  The second time, I followd the recipe, but also ground up one berry to sprinkle over the fish for a more pungent experience.  Both methods worked well.

I also found a peppercorn steak recipe which is similar to other peppersteak-in-cream sauce recipes I've had before.  This recipe substituted Tasmanian pepper for black pepper.  I've found other websites that say that Tasmanian pepper goes well with red meat.  So I followed this recipe exactly, but I was very unhappy with the final results.  I have yet to taste a successful combination of red meat and Tasmanian pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment