Monday, December 31, 2012

Thanksgiving

I cooked my first Thanksgiving dinner this year.  It was also my first turkey.  I didn't know what I was doing, but I did my research online, and the results of the dinner were a big hit.

For the turkey, I had always heard that brining it with spices was the way to go.  So I started with Martha Stewart's brining recipe because I figured I could trust her.  I studied other brining recipes and discovered that many of them used juices to replace some of the water, so I did that as well.  I substituted orange and cranberry juices for some of the water along with some apple cider.  Since the recipe called for juniper berries, I added some Tasmanian pepper berries because they have a smell that is reminiscent of juniper.  I added some voatsiperifery, Ashanti pepper and cubeb to the black pepper.  Voatsipifery goes well with white meats, so it seemed a safe bet.  Since I was adding fruit juices, I added some of my dried Indian fruits: aamla, kokum, amchur and anardana.  Along with the bay leaves, I added some boldo leaves, because they can be used in a similar fashion.  Since fennel was on the list, I added radhuni, ajwain, and black cumin just because I had them.  And then I added some grains of paradise because I like them. 

The result was the most flavorful turkey I had ever had.  It was a big hit with everyone.

For the mashed potatoes, I added garlic and parsley.  For the pepper, I used black pepper as well as both kinds of long pepper which I crushed in a mortar and pestle.  I also added some alligator pepper and korarima as well.  I liked the potatoes very much, but they were not as popular.  Some thought them to have too much of a burn, but that is what I liked about them.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Portland Spice Guy! Great blog. Why haven't you kept doing it? I run a small spice wholesale business in Portland, Oregon, specializing in exotic pepper. Some of the retail shops you mention are our customers, so it's probable that you are encountering stuff we've imported. I have other kinds of pepper that you've not mentioned here, and may be interested in having a look at. We should talk! Send me an e-mail at josh@bradyweber.com, if you're interested. If we make contact, I'll make sure you get some interesting samples. --Josh

    ReplyDelete