Monday, October 15, 2012

Culantro

I tasted an herb I had never had before.  It's culantro.  I bought the it at the Hong Phat market, but I've also seen it at Uwajimaya in Beaverton. It was labeled with its Vietnamese name, ngò gai.  It's scientific name is Eryngium foetidum, and it's in the Apiaceae family (celery) along with the other spices of cumin, cilantro, coriander, dill and fennel.  


The leaves were about about five to six inches long and an inch wide.  I liked the taste and gave some to others who described it as "delicate", "delicious", "buttery", "floral", "would be good as a salad green".  The taste seemed familiar to me, but I couldn't identify what it reminded me of.  I did get a buttery taste, which seemed odd coming from a leaf.

I put the surplus leaves in the dehydrator to preserve them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment