Thursday, October 4, 2012

Alligator pepper

Here are the seed pods of the alligator pepper I bought in Seattle.  I have some recipes for them, but the recipes call for other African spices I don't have.  I'll crack them open when I figure out what I'm going to do with them.

Alligator pepper seed pods


Alligator pepper isn't a true pepper that's related to black pepper.  It's most closely related to the cardamoms.  It's in the same genus as grains of paradise and Ethiopian cardamom (also known as korarima).  And these spices are in the same family as green and black cardamom.  All of these have their seeds in pods.  Green cardamom can be bought in pods, as the seeds alone, or as ground seeds.  Black cardamom is usually sold in the pods.  I use a nutcracker to get the seeds out, much as I would do with a walnut.

I've seen the term "alligator pepper" refer to grains of paradise, but I've also read that it should not be used to refer to Aframomum melegueta, which is the scientific name for grains of paradise.


Korarima on the left and grains of paradise on the right.


In the above photo, I compare Ethiopian cardamom with grains of paradise.  The seeds of both species are similar in size and shape.  The only difference in appearance in the color.  Grains of paradise are reddish brown, while korarima seeds are a chocolate brown.  Grains of paradise have a sharper, more peppery taste, while korarima seeds are milder with some of the cooling sensation found in green cardamom.  I've used ground korarima in bread with very good results. 

I purchased the korarima at Merkato Ethiopian Music and Food on MLK Boulevard here in Portland.

No comments:

Post a Comment