Monday, October 8, 2012

Vadouvan

Vadouvan is a spice mixture developed centuries ago by French colonists in India making use of the local spices.  It's had a resurgence in the last couple of years.  I bought some at Williams-Sonoma on NW 23rd Avenue. 





The main ingredients are onion, shallot, curry tree leaves, cumin, turmeric, and other Indian spices.  Here are a couple of recipes for making the mixture.

* Gourmet magazine
* Fat-free Vegan Kitchen

I've located only two sources in town:  Williams-Sonoma and the new Savory spice shop in Sellwood.  Savory said it's a special order though.  I'll probably buy their as well, to see which one I like better.

I put the vadouvan in macaroni and cheese.  It's considered to be a good match.  There are dozens of recipes on the web, but I just put it in the stuff I usually make.  It blended well with a subtle taste change.  I also made Gourmet's Vadouvan and Orange Shrimp with good results.  My readings indicated that vadouvan goes well with potatoes and cauliflower.  I like it because all the recipes I've found are simple, and it seems I can add it to dishes without its drastically changing the flavor.  It just adds an extra complexity.

No comments:

Post a Comment